Utah Championship News
Pros Set to Tee-Off, Exemptions Announced
Tuesday, 26 July 2011 21:55
Salt Lake City (July 22, 2011) – The field is set for the 2011 Utah Championship and this year’s tournament will feature nearly all the top players on the Nationwide Tour. The tournament tees off Thursday, July 28th and is Utah’s only official PGA TOUR event on the Nationwide Tour.
Tournament organizers today announced that the Nationwide Tour’s top players will be teeing it up at Willow Creek Country Club when the tournament gets underway. Those players will be competing for a spot on next year’s PGA TOUR; players who finish the season ranked in the Top 25 automatically earn their tour card for the following year.
In addition, this year's exemptions to the tournament have been given to University of Alabama graduate Bud Cauley, University of Washington graduate Nick Taylor, and PGA TOUR and Nationwide Tour alums, Vance Veazey and Bob May.
- Bud Cauley - an up and coming young star, made his professional debut at the 2011 U.S. Open finishing T63rd. He has finished T24th at the 2011 Travelers Championship and was a Co-medalist at U.S. Open Sectional Qualifying in Tunica, MS and just last week, finished T4 at the PGA TOUR's Viking Classic.
- Nick Taylor - the next Canadian superstar, is a three-time Ping All-American, a three-time Canadian Amateur Player of the Year and was the recipient of the 2010 Ben Hogan Award for Collegiate Player of the Year. With his unsurpassed work ethic, strong mental attitude and enthusiastic character, his future looks bright.
- Vance Veazey – Veazey has collected four wins on the Nationwide Tour over his career and has a Top 10 finish on the PGA TOUR, finishing 23rd on the Nationwide Tour’s Money List, earning his 2010 PGA TOUR card. Veazey had a Top 10 finish in the Utah Championship in 2007, finishing T8.
- Bob May – Joined the PGA TOUR in 1994 and has finished second three times, including his epic playoff against Tiger Woods at the 2000 PGA Championship at Valhalla. Most recently, he has played on both the PGA TOUR and Nationwide Tour with mixed results.
There are fourteen qualifying spots available to Utah’s best players in 2011 compared to just four spots last year, providing Utah's local golfers a significant opportunity to qualify for the Utah Championship. Qualifying will be held Monday, July 25th at Glen eagle Golf Course.
Fans will be able to follow past champions in the field, including Brendan Todd, Craig Kanada, and Brett Wetterich, as well as PGA TOUR past regulars Daniel Chopra and Omar Ureste, among others.
“The talent level at this year’s tournament is phenomenal,” said Tournament Director Mike Smith. “Nearly all the top players on the Nationwide Tour will be here, including past champions from our event, as well as a number of players who have played on the PGA TOUR. Fans will be treated to some great golf next week.”
In addition to the tournament, there will be a Comcast Kid's Clinic held at the Willow Creek Country Club driving range on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. The clinic will feature golf instruction from touring pros and each participating child will receive a free golf club courtesy of the PGA Section. The event is free for all Comcast customers and their children by redeeming a Comcast bill insert, or by presenting a Comcast bill at the tournament will-call booth for an all-day pass for each family member. For non-Comcast subscribers, adults can purchase a $10 all-day pass and kids are admitted free. Comcast will also provide hot dogs and drinks while supplies last.
The Utah Championship will be played July 28-31 at Willow Creek Country Club in Sandy. For information on tickets and volunteer opportunities, please visit www.utahchampionship.com or call 801-495-GOLF.
EVENT SCHEDULE (Events listed are subject to change)
Thursday July 28th
· First Round 7:30 am
Friday July 29th
- Second Round 7:30 am (Cut to low 60 and ties)
Saturday July 30th
- Third Round 9:00 am
- Youth Clinic Willow Creek C.C. driving range 4:00 pm.
- Volunteer Appreciation party Willow Creek swimming pool after completion of play
Sunday July 31st
- Final Round 9:00 am
- Champions trophy presentation 18th green after completion of play approximately 6:45 pm.
# # # # #
|< Prev||Next >|